I’ve spent a lot of the past week fighting off a bad cold, and (knock on wood) I think I’ve finally beaten it. Not a single tissue yet today. We’re making progress.
In honor of cold remedies and of seasonal holiday alcoholism, here’s William Faulkner’s hot toddy recipe (via Maud Newton) as recalled by his niece:
Pappy alone decided when a Hot Toddy was needed, and he administered it to his patient with the best bedside manner of a country doctor.
He prepared it in the kitchen in the following way: Take one heavy glass tumbler. Fill approximately half full with Heaven Hill bourbon (the Jack Daniel’s was reserved for Pappy’s ailments). Add one tablespoon of sugar. Squeeze 1/2 lemon and drop into glass. Stir until sugar dissolves. Fill glass with boiling water. Serve with potholder to protect patient’s hands from the hot glass.
Pappy always made a small ceremony out of serving his Hot Toddy, bringing it upstairs on a silver tray and admonishing his patient to drink it quickly, before it cooled off. It never failed.
Drink up, everyone, and stay healthy.
43 Notes/ Hide
- mygalleryofthings reblogged this from ecantwell
- mygalleryofthings likes this
- spoopwoundroutine likes this
- whosays-veganscantrun likes this
- jaimiecakes likes this
- coffeeatmidnight reblogged this from ecantwell
- coffeeatmidnight likes this
- sexkorbuto likes this
- frckles likes this
- queen-of-the-univers likes this
- maudnewton likes this
- hntrsthmpsn reblogged this from ecantwell and added:
- bathingininsecurities likes this
- semma53 likes this
- tbmimsthethird said: Bill’s alcoholism was never seasonal. Or always seasonal. He was a boozehound in the Winter, Spring, Summer and Fall.
- tbmimsthethird likes this
- petitchou likes this
- tragos said: A very Tragos-endorsed cold remedy. Feel better!
- tragos likes this
- audibleveracity likes this
- elizabite likes this
- nosvamosporaifora likes this
- larrysellers likes this
- mimesandpunishment likes this
- sarahwrotethat likes this
- jwes likes this
- buongiorno likes this
- wolfandfox likes this
- abcsoupdot likes this
- ecantwell posted this